Sunday, December 13, 2009

Work Hours and Lifestyles

Today I ready a post by Sonny Gill, Give Me My Time Back in which he lists some advantages of working in a digital age, but also questions these advantages in regards to the possible negative impacts on his personal life.

This topic has probably been discussed ad nauseam, so I thought I would put my own spin on it. :)

For me, its about opportunities, expectations and guidance.
  • New technologies give us the opportunity to stay connected pretty much 24/7.
  • Opportunity is not the same as obligation. However, what new expectations does this connectivity raise? Are we expected to work and respond to messages 24/7? Are we also expected to work the traditional 8 to 5 work day?
  • While we have the opportunity to work from home (or on the road), are we given the freedom to adjust our personal lives as well?
Organizationally, this disruption/opportunity in our business operations becomes a discussion of performance, efficiency and cost. In operations where performance is measured by face time, expectations are most likely not balanced with freedom.

What are the desired outcomes?
  • Greater efficiencies and increased value for your organization.
  • A richer personal life; one not constrained by time and location.
Being connected gives me opportunities to be more effective in my work, but I must make choices on how I use employ this technology. The choices are made in the context of my organizational priorities as well as my passion both for my work and my personal life.



1 comment:

John Dorner said...

Well said.

Seek balance.
Be fair to all - work, family and self.